devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:00:11 +0100

Hi,

Le 07/11/13 10:59, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
address@concealed">You are both apparently talking about two different issues.

David is talking about turning into some parts of Sympa into general-purpose libraries, distributing them separatly of Sympa. Distributing them through CPAN does make sense here.

Soji seems to be talking (unless I misunderstood his proposal) to distribute Sympa through CPAN. I personaly think there is no added value here for anyone.
Oh. If it is the case, then yes: I want, when we feel ready for it, to move some modules to CPAN (actually, I'd like to move some day the more possible modules to CPAN, if it makes sense).
Moving the full Sympa install doesn't feel right, as I always understood that CPAN is a repository for reusable modules, not full softwares. Was I wrong here?
address@concealed">
And I still think there is no direct constraints on files layout for distributing something on CPAN. The actual constraint is on the build system, if you expect CPAN indexation and CPAN clients to work correctly.

Honestly I don't know.
Here's my advice: let's ignore this issue as long as we have no clear plans to move parts of the code to  CPAN.
address@concealed">
My proposal _also_ moved some files and directories.  Do you say
they are unnecessary (or misled) changes?  Please look at table in
the quote below.

Nevertheless, I took care that fruit of his work would not be
changed: My proposal covers where he had not changed.  I don't
understand what he is opposing to.
I oppose to a target layout where all source files would not be self-contained in a single subdirectory, for practical reasons: it makes refactoring more difficult.

I don't care about the rest of the proposal.
Ah!
That's where my proposal should make everyone happy, no?

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21