devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:59:17 +0100

Le 07/11/2013 01:07, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:45:05 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

Hi,

Le 04/11/13 17:21, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
Hello.

Le 03/11/2013 03:50, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,

Guillaume's new directory layout seems to have a bit more room for
improvement. For example subdirectories under src/ may be moved to
top level.
Are you talking about the trunk or the 6.2 branch?

Also expecting registration to CPAN, I drafted a modified layout.
The desirability of such registration has never been discussed sofar.
Altough I don't have any actual objection, I don't see much interest:
- sympa does not belong to the primary target of CPAN (it is an
application, not a reusable perl library)
- sympa doesn't use ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build build system,
meaning cpan clients won't be able to install it

And even if desirable, there is no constraint on internal archive
structure.
To sum up: we need to have a correct modularization and get rid of
circular references.
If this leads to porting some modules to CPAN, it is potentially
interesting. But this is not our current priority.

"_Also_ expecting registration to CPAN", I wrote. Expecting it
just results the name of a few directories.
You are both apparently talking about two different issues.

David is talking about turning into some parts of Sympa into general-purpose libraries, distributing them separatly of Sympa. Distributing them through CPAN does make sense here.

Soji seems to be talking (unless I misunderstood his proposal) to distribute Sympa through CPAN. I personaly think there is no added value here for anyone.

And I still think there is no direct constraints on files layout for distributing something on CPAN. The actual constraint is on the build system, if you expect CPAN indexation and CPAN clients to work correctly.

My proposal _also_ moved some files and directories. Do you say
they are unnecessary (or misled) changes? Please look at table in
the quote below.

Nevertheless, I took care that fruit of his work would not be
changed: My proposal covers where he had not changed. I don't
understand what he is opposing to.
I oppose to a target layout where all source files would not be self-contained in a single subdirectory, for practical reasons: it makes refactoring more difficult.

I don't care about the rest of the proposal.
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information