devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Does compose_mail page interpolate TT2 tags?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Does compose_mail page interpolate TT2 tags?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:32:05 +0900

Hi,

I'll write about the points I suppose to be problem, and a proposal.
This may be done during development of 6.3.

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:28:12 +0200
"IKEDA, Soji" <address@concealed> wrote:

> >> In compose_mail Web UI page there is a description about "Messages
> >> customization" (tt2 interpolation). However, this feature seems not
> >> to be implemented, as far as I could find out from the 6.2 source.
> >>
> >> And as reported, such a feature may confuse the users:
> >>
> https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?func=detail&atid=167&aid=8633&group_id=23
>
> >> I propose to remove the description (and the feature, if it is
> available).
> > Er... Yes, is is implemented.
> > However, to get it work, you need to switch the "merge" list parameter to
> 'enabled'.
>
> I found it! It was absolutely unexpected for me... Bulk::store() performs
> merge_feature.

I'll write it below.

> > Or, it may be implemented with the option to switch it on/off.
>
> After playing with it, I still think this feature is confusable.
>
> * Almost all messages related to a list with merge_feature "on" will be
> interpolated, ...even the service messages!

Sorry, it's my misunderstanding. I checked compose_mail page and
jumped to conclusion that mail::mail_file() re-intepolates messages.
In fact, such a messages are re-submitted to mail::mail_message().

However, I still think this feature may bring troubles.

Brought troubles are psychological: Since all messages will be
interpolated entirely, it can be astonishing for subscribers:
"Ugh! WHY this poster knows my confidential information (custom
user attribute etc.)?". But the poster can't be aware of it.

> * TT2-like (but syntactically invalid) texts cause errors and make message
> bodies empty.
>
> This means that, when a user unintentionally includes brackets and percent
> signs into any of message, list subject, gecos of subscriber etc., somewhat
> misterious shall be occur.

For example, the text "Texts enclosed by [% & %] will be interpolated."
is syntactically invalid. Users can write such a sentense.

There is another problem. Currently, interpolation is performed at
the final stage of message processing, while lists and/or users
can be purged or moved after the time messages are spooled into
tables.

*

My proposal is to limit the effect of this feature on some levels,
for example:

* Only header/footer are interpolated: original texts are intact.

- Users' astonishment will be minimized.

* Only owners, editors (or the user a scenario authorized) can
use this feature.

- They shall be aware of what they are doing.

* Only by web UI: posts via mail interface aren't changed.

- "Validity" of messages as TT2 can be checked, and invalid
syntaxes can be rejected before it is posted.

Please give me comments which solution (or the other) is preferred.

Regards,

--- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児