devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Does compose_mail page interpolate TT2 tags?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Does compose_mail page interpolate TT2 tags?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 15:08:32 +0200

Hi Soji,

Le 03/04/13 14:28, IKEDA, Soji a écrit :
In compose_mail Web UI page there is a description about "Messages
customization" (tt2 interpolation).  However, this feature seems not
to be implemented, as far as I could find out from the 6.2 source.

And as reported, such a feature may confuse the users:

https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?func=detail&atid=167&aid=8633&group_id=23

I propose to remove the description (and the feature, if it is
available).
Er... Yes, is is implemented.
However, to get it work, you need to switch the "merge" list parameter to
'enabled'.

I found it!  It was absolutely unexpected for me... Bulk::store() performs
merge_feature.
Actually, the merge is done by Bulk::merge_msg, which is called directly by bulk.pl main loop.
This is because the merge shall be done just before sending the message To prevent storing merged messages in spools.

Or, it may be implemented with the option to switch it on/off.
After playing with it, I still think this feature is confusable.

  * Almost all messages related to a list with merge_feature "on" will be
interpolated, ...even the service messages!
Really? We must have a bug here: normally, only lists messages are supposed to be merged.

  * TT2-like (but syntactically invalid) texts cause errors and make message
bodies empty.
Syntactically invalid? I thought we were fait to the TT2 specs. What's wonrg with our syntax?

This means that, when a user unintentionally includes brackets and percent
signs into any of message, list subject, gecos of subscriber etc., somewhat
misterious shall be occur.
Well... The thing is we still need to define a syntax for merge. Maybe we could define a starting and ending tag for sections to be merged? this way people could use TT2-like syntax in their messages without the risk to see them interpolated.

Regards,

David

Regards,

--- Soji

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Infrastructure pour les Services Informatiques

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr
RENATER