devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:32:44 +0100

Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
David Verdin a écrit :
So you concur to our doubts. We think that we must increase the rate of
release, so that people don't download bugs that have been patched a
month before. But we felt that a daily base could be too much and would
lead to too much versions.
Does anybody have a clue about when it is pertinent to release a new
version?
As soon as you feel it's worth the work, such as fixing a bug for
instance. Clearly, it's difficult to have an objective criteria here :)
Our criteria for (somehow automatically) releasing new stable versions very often is to lower the lifetime of a stable release that includes already fixed bugs. As an example, there have been 73 commits (about 60 are real code changes) in our sympa-5.3-branch branch, all this changes being significant bug fixes ; but we have released only 4 stable versions from this branch. Therefore users have been downloading the 5.3.3 version from july 2007 until november 2007 with a couple of bugs that had been fixed in the SVN repository in th meanwhile. That's too bad we did not release a weekly version with all recent bug fixes in it.

Of course we could not afford to have a similar auto-release process on the development trunk because it includes more changes, including code design changes and new features.

The second is the easyness of producing a new release. You're clearly
reinventing the wheel there. If you had a correct autotools
configuration, this would be just a matter of 'autoreconf && ./configure
&& make dist' (and even better, make 'distcheck' to automatically
conduct minimal safety check against it).
The only difference I see is the name of the command called.
For now, producing a new release is just a matter of
'/usr/local/bin/tag-new-version.pl'.
Sure, the autotools commands are standard commands, but as the creation
of new versions implies an access to our servers, we are the only one
who will ever use these scripts.
Therefore I don't see the point of using them, as what's important is
the sequence of operations performed, not the name of the command.
That's not the name of the command that matter, that's the correctness
of what it does. I always have more confidence on widely used and tested
code than on self-made solution. I don't think your solution allow
automated testing of produced archive for instance, as 'make distcheck'
does.
Of course using standard tools (like autotools) is a better solution when possible, and we appreciate very much the help you are providing in this area. But for tools that we don't distribute, our main goal is to have the processes in place ; using standard tools in only a plus. We'll investigate in the "make distcheck" direction to find out the advantages of this solution.

Thanks for the feedback Guillaume.