devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Berger <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:13:09 +0100

Hi.

I'm trying to give some feedback bellow, but I must admit I didn't take
time to read all the details of your translation thing.

Le jeudi 13 mars 2008 à 17:57 +0100, David Verdin a écrit :
> Dear Sympa developers,

SNIP

> 1. Delay between bug fixes and new version

Here, I suppose the problem is with the identifications of the nature of
the problems fixed by commits on the branch.

If bugs have a severity, then deciding on the need of a new release can
be by severity.

But it could also be by a minimum number of bugs fixed, or by elapsed
period (for example at minimum a point release on the stable branch
every two month ?)...

Then of course there may be various concurrent strategies : if a
critical bug is found, or every 5 bugs (any level of severity), or every
2 month (even if only one minor bug fixed), etc.

Given that... I think that some way to notify changes could be
interesting too : if a maintainer of a specific packaging for a
distributions is aware of a bug found by one of its users of that
distribution, knowing that a fix is available upstream (in your stable
branch) could be a way to prepare a local intermediate package including
that fix, for instance, even if you didn't yet prepare a new release...

And of course there could be users wishing to live on the cutting edge,
and have a stable snapshot nightly build for instance... provided that
your packaging scripts (autoconf or anything else) are simple enough to
be triggered automatically...

> 2. Concurrence between stable and development translations

Why not have as many sets of translations as there are versions out
there, separate from each other ?

... And let the translators propagate their translations as they see
fit. It's not that complex to use a diff/merge tool, isn't it ?

I must admit I got bored of trying to understand the details of the
current process you described... it seems I'm probably suggesting
something too stupid, so feel free to ignore my response on that second
one.

Just my 2 cents, quite obvious, I guess ;)

--
Olivier BERGER <address@concealed> (*NEW ADDRESS*)
http://www-inf.it-sudparis.eu/~olberger/ - OpenPGP-Id: 1024D/6B829EEC