devel - [sympa-dev] Re: multiple translation branches (was Version handling in the Sympa project)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Berger <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: multiple translation branches (was Version handling in the Sympa project)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:25:34 +0100

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Berger a écrit :
[...]
2. Concurrence between stable and development translations
Why not have as many sets of translations as there are versions out
there, separate from each other ?

... And let the translators propagate their translations as they see
fit. It's not that complex to use a diff/merge tool, isn't it ?

We have experienced this organization when Sympa translations were handled via the Rosetta translation service (<https://launchpad.net/rosetta>). They are maintaining branches and versions for translations. We consider it's not the appropriate solution because translators are a specific kind of contributors ; they are not computing people. For these category of contributors, tools need to be as simple as possible : simple login procedure, simple GUI, forget about commits, forget about branches.

Actually the new organization we have adopted for managing PO catalogs seems appropriate : the PO catalog on pootle.sympa.org gathers all translations from the current development branch and from the latest stable branch. Translators don't have to bother about versions and branches, they just wish to contribute and eventually use their contribution on their own site.
I must admit I got bored of trying to understand the details of the
current process you described... it seems I'm probably suggesting
something too stupid, so feel free to ignore my response on that second
one.
I can understand that the provided details were not of interest to all of you, but we wanted to let you know about these changes.