devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Version handling in the Sympa project
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:28:54 +0100

David Verdin a écrit :
> So you concur to our doubts. We think that we must increase the rate of
> release, so that people don't download bugs that have been patched a
> month before. But we felt that a daily base could be too much and would
> lead to too much versions.
> Does anybody have a clue about when it is pertinent to release a new
> version?
As soon as you feel it's worth the work, such as fixing a bug for
instance. Clearly, it's difficult to have an objective criteria here :)

>> The second is the easyness of producing a new release. You're clearly
>> reinventing the wheel there. If you had a correct autotools
>> configuration, this would be just a matter of 'autoreconf && ./configure
>> && make dist' (and even better, make 'distcheck' to automatically
>> conduct minimal safety check against it).
> The only difference I see is the name of the command called.
> For now, producing a new release is just a matter of
> '/usr/local/bin/tag-new-version.pl'.
> Sure, the autotools commands are standard commands, but as the creation
> of new versions implies an access to our servers, we are the only one
> who will ever use these scripts.
> Therefore I don't see the point of using them, as what's important is
> the sequence of operations performed, not the name of the command.
>> Hence the point of the patches I submitted.
That's not the name of the command that matter, that's the correctness
of what it does. I always have more confidence on widely used and tested
code than on self-made solution. I don't think your solution allow
automated testing of produced archive for instance, as 'make distcheck'
does.
--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs