devel - [sympa-dev] topics.conf

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Mark K <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] topics.conf
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:20:31 -0600

I am setting up an installation of sympa inside of my company. I am
very pleased with sympa. My first suggestion is to flesh out the SOAP
interface more. I'm sure this is on the agenda and I am willing to try
to help out some, too.

The main issue I am at now is about topics. I am integrating sympa
into an internal sourceforge instance we have. We had previously
been using mailman and I am trying to get sympa more tightly
integrated into our main sourceforge interface than mailman was.
SOAP is helping. I am planning on using SOAP to list the mailing
lists associated with a sourceforge project by making a topic for
each project that creates mailing lists. However, there is no
interface whatsoever that I see in wwsympa, sympa, or SOAP to edit
topics. It seems one has to just edit etc/topics.conf manually.

So, for the time being I have written a short perl script to do that
which I may turn into a module to be used by sympa.pl which I could
send upstream to you guys. I am wondering whether it might make more
sense to put topics into the DB, though. It would make it easier to
manage them instead of having to slurp a file in and out for every
topic change.

It might also be cool to allow topics to be generated via include2 to
be a bit more flexible. This could cause issues when a topic that a
list belongs to might disappear I suppose...

Anyway, just looking for thoughts and feedback.

--
Mark K