devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Missing function in bounced.pl and bug reporting

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Micah Anderson <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Missing function in bounced.pl and bug reporting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:14:45 +0100

Hi Micah,

Micah Anderson a écrit :
* David Verdin <address@concealed> [071211 04:39]:

That message is a type of Feedback report unknown to Sympa. I'll investigate why.

Interesting, if I look at that message and compare it to the ARF RFC
examples[1], it appears to be valid ARF format[1] to me, unless I am
missing something, Sympa is supposed to understand this format[2].

Micah

1. http://wordtothewise.com/resources/annotatedsample.html
2. http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/bounces#arf
Yes it is a valid ARF. I compared the RFC to what we did in Sympa and it appears we were wrong. We had a test in which we assumed the report was of known kind if:
- the "Feedback-Type" header value appeared in a list of known strings
- AND "Original-Rcpt-To" was set.
Which was wrong, because "Original-Rcpt-To" is an optional field in the RFC.

In your message file, "Feedback-Type" had the value "abuse", but Original-Rcpt-To was missing. Therefore, we discarded the message.

I fixed this in the development branch of Sympa. We now support normally the internet draft (version 0.3): we consider unknown the values undefined in the draft. However we notify the listmaster if, lacking an Original-Rcpt-To, we can't do anything.

David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités