devel - Re: [sympa-dev] topics.conf

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Mark K <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] topics.conf
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:16:48 +0100

Hi Mark,

Mark K a écrit :
I am setting up an installation of sympa inside of my company. I am
very pleased with sympa. My first suggestion is to flesh out the SOAP
interface more. I'm sure this is on the agenda and I am willing to try
to help out some, too.

You're welcome to contribute of course.
The main issue I am at now is about topics. I am integrating sympa
into an internal sourceforge instance we have.
What sourceforge software are you using?
We had previously
been using mailman and I am trying to get sympa more tightly
integrated into our main sourceforge interface than mailman was.
SOAP is helping. I am planning on using SOAP to list the mailing
lists associated with a sourceforge project by making a topic for
each project that creates mailing lists. However, there is no
interface whatsoever that I see in wwsympa, sympa, or SOAP to edit
topics. It seems one has to just edit etc/topics.conf manually.
That's an interesting feature to add. Currently topics.conf is only edited manually. I understand that if you create a topic for each sourceforge project, then you might need to update topics.conf at the same time. This rises 2 concerns : 1) you need remote functions (via SOAP) to update topics.conf 2) we need to define what privilege is required to edit topics.conf ; listmaster privilege ? a new authorization scenario ?

On the other hand why do you need to update topics.conf whenever a new project is created? Can't you just define high level topics in topics.conf, each project being a subcategory. Example: topic biocomputing would be defined in topics.conf, but biocomputing/my_software would only be defined in the list configuration file.

One feature you are probably missing but that you did not mention is a way to search all lists that belong to a given topic. This would require that Sympa either accepts an additional 'topic' parameter to the 'lists' SOAP function OR that the listType (returned by complexLists) is extended to provide the topics the lists belong to. With the later solution, you'd have to filter the lists in the sourceforge code.
[...]