en - [sympa-users] Improving Sympa bounce management is needed.

  • From: Mark London <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Improving Sympa bounce management is needed.
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:23:57 -0400

The present feature that notifies the list owner when a subscriber is bouncing, continues to notify the owner after each post, until that user's bounce count is set to zero. Even if the subscriber's account doesn't generate any further bounces. At least that is what I'm seeing, and what I've read.

This is because the user's bounce counts are checked, after a post is sent to the mailing list, not whether a bounce is received after the post occurs.

I've looked at the code, and it's quite easy to add other options that would be triggered when a bounce is actually received. And then one could have features like:

A) If a user exceeds the bounce limit, the user should be set to "no mail" rather than unsubscribed, and the owner should be notified, either when the user is to "no mail", or after every bounce is received.

B) Every permanent bounce be forwarded to the list owner. User's subscription is not modified.

I have a small mailing list with low volume traffic, in which it's important to know immediately if an email wasn't delivered to one of the users. This 2nd option is what I'm presently implementing for my site.

Just a thought. FWIW

Mark