en - [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA

  • From: Christian F Buser <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:38:39 +0200

Hi all

Excuse me if my question seems to be unnecessary or is already answered
elsewhere...

I presently run 2 lists on a local machine here - a Macintosh mini with OS X
10.7 - using the "LetterRip" software. The software itself works as expected,
but OS X 10.6.8 is very old and will not run on a newer Mac (should my
present Mac break down), and the software does not work on any newer MacOS (I
think it needs "Rosetta" to run PPC applications on Intel Macs) - I need to
find a replacement.

The LetterRip software gets its list messages from POP3 mail accounts at my
provider, handles them and sends the messages to the list of subscribers via
my provider’s SMTP server (or discards them if they are from unauthorized
addresses, i.e. non-subscribers). Of cours, I get a daily summary about
messages sent etc.

I also have a web space with my provider running the website for the same
domain as the list server uses. I have FTP acces there, and can also install
a database. However, I have no idea about the operating system used with my
wirtual server.

Would it be possible to run SYMPA on a machine like my present Mac? I have a
newer Mac on which I could use and install OS X Sierra 10.12, and I also have
a copy of the Server application for MacOS if this is needed to operate
SYMPA. Or would it be better to try installing it on the web space (I can
make additional sub-domains, if needed)?

I would appreciate any help available for my "project" - best would, of
course, be a step-by-step instruction...

Thank you in advance
Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org