en - Re: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian F Buser <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Getting started with SYMPA
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 17:29:19 +0900

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:38:39 +0200
Christian F Buser <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Excuse me if my question seems to be unnecessary or is already answered
> elsewhere...
>
> I presently run 2 lists on a local machine here - a Macintosh mini with OS
> X 10.7 - using the "LetterRip" software. The software itself works as
> expected, but OS X 10.6.8 is very old and will not run on a newer Mac
> (should my present Mac break down), and the software does not work on any
> newer MacOS (I think it needs "Rosetta" to run PPC applications on Intel
> Macs) - I need to find a replacement.
>
> The LetterRip software gets its list messages from POP3 mail accounts at my
> provider, handles them and sends the messages to the list of subscribers
> via my provider’s SMTP server (or discards them if they are from
> unauthorized addresses, i.e. non-subscribers). Of cours, I get a daily
> summary about messages sent etc.
>
> I also have a web space with my provider running the website for the same
> domain as the list server uses. I have FTP acces there, and can also
> install a database. However, I have no idea about the operating system used
> with my wirtual server.
>
> Would it be possible to run SYMPA on a machine like my present Mac? I have
> a newer Mac on which I could use and install OS X Sierra 10.12, and I also
> have a copy of the Server application for MacOS if this is needed to
> operate SYMPA. Or would it be better to try installing it on the web space
> (I can make additional sub-domains, if needed)?

I had played with macOS Sierra. To install Sympa from source,
following software were required:

* Perl 5 interpreter: Perl 5.18 or so has already been installed.

* Database: SQLite may be used for low-volume site. It does not need
database server (see below).

* MTA: Postfix has already been installed.
Sympa need MTA (inbound and outbound) running on the same host.

* HTTP server: Apache HTTP server 2.4 has already been installed.
Sympa typically needs HTTP server running on the same host.

* tar: bsdtar (/usr/bin/tar) has already been installed.

* homebrew: It is useful to install other required packages:
- C compiler: gcc (clang) will be installed together with homebrew.
- make.
- GNU gettext.
- GNU autoconf.
- GNU automake.

Note that XCode also includes homebrew but you need not install
XCode at all: You may simply go to homebrew home page <https://brew.sh>
and follow instruction. Once you have installed, you can install
packages above by:

$ brew install gettext

and so on.

* External Perl modules: To install them, including SQLite, follow
installation instruction.

For detailed steps see draft documentation: https://sympa-community.github.io/

One trouble I have occurred was location of gettext. Before running
configure script, PATH had to be set:

$ export PATH=/usr/local/opt/gettext/bin:$PATH

And if you will install development version (clone of GitHub
repository, run autoreconf as:

$ autoreconf -i -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/share/aclocal

(Running autoreconf is not required if you install from source
tarball).

Hope this helps.

-- Soji

--