en - [sympa-users] Sympa bulk.pl cluster

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa bulk.pl cluster
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:20:33 -0700

Quick question for the Sympa folks, unless anyone else has gotten this working:

Largely in response to the exact slowdown mentioned below when enabling the merge_feature, we're working on spreading the sending load over more servers. The only document I can find is this one:
http://www.sympa.org/manual/server_architecture_for_big_services

It's rather old, but still I think mostly relevant, and I'm thinking that moving bulk.pl onto a different server is most likely our best option. (We could just split the MTA by using relay hosts, but I'd rather go further.) And I want to confirm one thing: We can run bulk.pl at the same time on *multiple* servers, yes? There won't be any contention or locking issues or duplicated sends or anything?

I believe the fact that multiple bulk.pl child processes can run on the same server means the answer is yes, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!
adam