en - Re: [sympa-users] Sendmail Help

  • From: Brian Eliassen <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sendmail Help
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:52:53 -0800

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions as it has to be a simple "oops, I missed that" at this point but it's not obvious. Since Google isn't helping me, others using Sendmail are not seeing this. If I can just get over this final hump, everything should be good. Here is what you mentioned.

All DNS appears to be proper:

frodo:root [306] /etc/mail> dig scrapcombatships.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.1-P1 <<>> scrapcombatships.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;scrapcombatships.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
scrapcombatships.com. 86400 IN A 208.127.57.100

frodo:root [307] /etc/mail> dig magnumopusproductions.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.1-P1 <<>> magnumopusproductions.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;magnumopusproductions.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
magnumopusproductions.com. 86400 IN A 208.127.57.100

My sympa_aliases file is one of the standard files included in my "update" script which does the following:

frodo:root [304] /etc/mail> cat update
#!/bin/sh
cd /etc/mail
makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable
makemap hash access.db < access
makemap hash aliases.db < aliases
makemap hash majordomo-aliases.db < majordomo-aliases
makemap hash sympa_aliases.db < sympa_aliases
newaliases
tail -f /var/log/mail.log

It appears that sympa_aliases is getting updated properly:
-rw-r--r-- 1 sympa root 1804 Feb 5 03:03 sympa_aliases
-rw-r----- 1 root root 49152 Feb 6 10:21 sympa_aliases.db

Here is the relevant part of my sendmail.mc file:
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/majordomo-aliases,/ etc/mail/sympa_aliases')dnl

Here is the inserted entry in my sendmail.cf file:
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/majordomo-aliases,/etc/mail/ sympa_aliases

So I figured sympa_aliases may not be looked at so I did this:
frodo:root [314] /etc/mail> sendmail -bv address@concealed
"| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"... deliverable: mailer prog, user "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed "

Whoa! See how it's pointing to address@concealed instead of address@concealed? I think that's due to the "sympa:" alias in my /etc/mail/aliases file. So I then tried to hit one of the testlist lines in sympa_aliases:
frodo:root [315] /etc/mail> sendmail -bv
address@concealed
"| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"... deliverable: mailer prog, user "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed "

Works perfectly. So how do I get sendmail to see "address@concealed " as "address@concealed"? I think the fact that "address@concealed" does not exist is why this problem is occurring. The sympa_aliases were created by the Sympa WebGUI.

frodo:root [316] /etc/mail> sendmail -bv address@concealed
address@concealed... User unknown

As I mentioned, I'm at a loss. I've been doing sendmail for twenty years and I'm not able to comprehend how Sympa can get "scrapcombatships.com-testlist" to respond to "To:address@concealed " in the envelope. Did I miss a needed R$ envelope rule modification?

Brian