en - Re: [sympa-users] Sendmail Help

  • From: Brian Eliassen <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sendmail Help
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:28:37 -0800

Hello everyone,

I sort of figured out what is going on. It appears that as I'm using my access file to prevent backscatter, it is causing some rather interesting problems. My solution to get messages to route was the following:

Add actual list name to sympa_aliases:
scrapcombatships.com-testlist: "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed "
scrapcombatships.com-testlist-request: "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed "
scrapcombatships.com-testlist-editor: "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed "
#scrapcombatships.com-testlist-subscribe: "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/ queue address@concealed"
scrapcombatships.com-testlist-owner: "| /usr/local/sympa/bin/ bouncequeue address@concealed"
address@concealed: scrapcombatships.com-testlist

Having that "address@concealed:" helps to prevent the "User unknown" error when I did a "sendmail -bv address@concealed ". However, "User unknown" still appeared in my logs when I actually tried to send a message. This had me perplexed as no one else is seeing this so I asked myself, "what am I doing differently than most people?" The answer was using my "access" file to prevent backscatter. What is backscatter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_%28email%29

So I added the following to my access file:
To:address@concealed RELAY

BINGO! E-mail started being delivered. Of course, this causing the following error which I can use some assistance on. I have no idea why it's happening as I've told my robot to "process_archive off" but it's still trying to archive messages:
Feb 17 15:11:19 frodo archived[22009]: [ID 702911 local1.notice] notice main:: Archiving address@concealed. 1424214670.22004.0 for list address@concealed
Feb 17 15:11:19 frodo archived[22009]: [ID 702911 local1.error] err main::#406 > main::mail2arc#984 Could not open pipe: No such file or directory
Feb 17 15:11:19 frodo archived[22009]: [ID 702911 local1.notice] notice tools::save_to_bad() Saving file /address@concealed to /address@concealed

I have no idea what file is missing. I have a ~sympa/list_data/ scrapcombatships.com/testlist/archives which is getting a "last_message" file so something is going in there.

And yes, ~address@concealed/2015-02 does have "arctxt" and "index" within it so those are being created too.

But hey, at least the messages are being delivered so that's a major improvement.

Thanks to everyone who helped me to get this far!

Brian