en - RE: [sympa-users] blank email sent to list members

  • From: "McLaren, Terrence M" <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] blank email sent to list members
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:44:16 +0000

Steve & Claude – Thank you for your insights.  After a thorough scrub of the logs, I’ve come to the conclusion the error was an intermittent problem related to the bulk.pls after a hardware restart.   We’re running 9 bulk.pls and they all generated the errors at  random times.  Intermittent because only ~6.3% of the messages sent through our sympa service developed the blank message problem.   We processed a total of 4228 messages (DoMessage events) and ~267 messages threw the error after the DoMessage event.  The error in the sympa log was in the form of:  "err internal error : current packet (messagekey= GUID) contain a ref to a null message".

The fix was a restart of the service.  Since the restart, I haven’t seen any of the ‘null message’ errors.

-Terry McLaren

  University of Illinois