en - Re: [sympa-users] Database changes when upgrading sympa?

  • From: "Michael D. Sofka" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Database changes when upgrading sympa?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:38:36 -0400

On 10/16/2014 01:04 AM, IKEDA Soji wrote:

> You may extend those fields as large as you want, _if_ database
> engine will permit.

It will permit, and I tend to over-design database servers so I am not
concerned about space.

> If you changed structure of list_table, you have to run
> "sympa.pl --sync_list_db" manually: Table will not be rebuilt
> automatically.

I get that, but my bigger question is: Is there any reason to expand
the fields? Because it doesn't seem to matter.

Adding owners until the list exceeds VARCHAR(100) generate an
error in the postgresql logs, but appears to have no other affects. The
owner is added to the lists config file, and they do display in the list
configuration page---even after Sympa and Apache are restarted.
db_list_cache is "on", in sympa.conf. But this test is not through,
and it is possible owners not on the list may have difficulties.
Regardless,
I'll at least double the field size in my upgrade, but I would like to know
if this error is something to look out for, and warn list owners about.

> Some lists with democratic policy tend to delegate ownership to
> many or (extremely) all of the subscribers. The limitation by
> lengths of owners_list and editors_list fields are planned to be
> removed by Sympa 6.2.

That's good to know, but I will need to finish this upgrade before then,
alas.

Mike

--
Michael D. Sofka address@concealed
C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer, Email, TeX, Epistemology