en - Re: [sympa-users] Database changes when upgrading sympa?

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Database changes when upgrading sympa?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:04:02 +0900

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:58:32 -0400
"Michael D. Sofka" <address@concealed> wrote:

> On 10/10/2014 02:38 PM, Emmanuel Bouthenot wrote:
>
> > You should take a look at this thread:
> > https://listes.renater.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users/2014-07/msg00004.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Okay, that got me farther. I was able to upgrade the database with only
> a little bit of difficulty.
>
> Now when running:
>
> sympa.pl --sync_list_db
>
> I get errors about the list of owners being longer than 100 characters.
> And indeed, in list_table defines owners_list, editors_list, and so on
> as: varchar(100).
>
> Two things:
>
> First, given that address@concealed, it is not
> difficult to exceed that limit. And in our case, student club lists,
> for whatever reason, tend to have a lot of owners. Perhaps the field
> should be larger.
>
> Second, does it matter? It appears this is used as a cache. Is it
> rebuilt on startup?

You may extend those fields as large as you want, _if_ database
engine will permit.

If you changed structure of list_table, you have to run
"sympa.pl --sync_list_db" manually: Table will not be rebuilt
automatically.

Some lists with democratic policy tend to delegate ownership to
many or (extremely) all of the subscribers. The limitation by
lengths of owners_list and editors_list fields are planned to be
removed by Sympa 6.2.

Regards,

--- Soji

--