en - [sympa-users] Sympa init script (starts before mysqld is ready)

  • From: Donjan Rodic <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa init script (starts before mysqld is ready)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:35:09 +0200

Running an Ubuntu 14.04 server with a fairly default setup, Sympa, MySQL and exim4 (with added transport scripts) from repos.
When rebooting (after a kernel upgrade), Sympa fails by spamming listmasters with:

No DataBase
Cannot connect to database sympa, still trying...

After that it's not distributing any mail, though 'ps -ef|grep sympa' shows the 5 processes (bounced.pl etc).
The Ubuntu-specific 'service sympa restart' seems to have trouble stopping the daemon, and (possibly Ubuntu-specific) likewise:

# /etc/init.d/sympa restart
# * Stoping Sympa mailing list manager [ OK ]
# * Some daemons failed to be stopped (not running?): sympa [fail]

However, a simple:
/etc/init.d/sympa stop
/etc/init.d/sympa start
fixes mailing lists once the server is up.

So far I'm very happy with Sympa (upgraded recently from Mailman), but while manually restarting the Sympa daemon (or having a clunky sleep in rc.local) is a workaround, I hope there is a more elegant and dependency-based option without generating the error messages during boot?

Best Wishes
Donjan

  • [sympa-users] Sympa init script (starts before mysqld is ready), Donjan Rodic, 10/12/2014