en - Re: [sympa-users] Adding robots.txt

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Adding robots.txt
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:25:49 -0400

Christopher Greiner wrote:
Hi Sympa users,

I'm looking to add a robots.txt file as it's been brought to our
attention a couple of our pages have been indexed in Google with some
user email addresses being displayed.

I've since added the spam_protection directive in sympa.conf and
requested removal of the offending pages via Google's webmaster tools.
I'd like to add a robots.txt file to avoid our sympa subdomain getting
indexed in the future. I've had a search and can't find any information
on how to do this. Any pointers?

Simplest thing would be to add a static page to your web server - don't need to involve sympa at all to do this.

So.. if your server is lists.unil.ch, then create a text page at lists.unil.ch/robots.txt - containing something like:

Disallow: *

If you want to be a bit more granular, and allow indexing of some things, see
the description of robots.txt at
http://www.robotstxt.org/orig.html

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra