en - [sympa-users] converting archives and 'outgoing' directory

  • From: address@concealed (Peter Grandi)
  • To: Sympa user <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] converting archives and 'outgoing' directory
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:26:38 +0100

I have somer largish archive to convert from EZMLM to
Sympa/MHOnArc format. The way they are stored in EZMLM is in a
per-list directory, each message is a file, with a name like
$SEQNO/{00.99}; the equivalent Sympa format seems also to be
directory with a name like $YEAR-{1..12}/arctxt/$SEQNO.

Then I had a look at the sometimes opaque logic of the scripts
mentioned in:

http://www.sympa.org/contribs/migration_and_archives/index

and it seems that a simple copy/move to the new location would
be enough (plus index rebuild).

But looking at the source of 'archived.pl' I guess that:

* The messages to be archives could be 'outgoing' spool, if I
package them right. Is that a sensible option?
* If it is a sensible option, What should the message look like
when packaged in 'outgoing'?

Even if sensible, I am potentially a bit worried by the 'sleep
1' at the start of main loop, which seems wisely means to limit
the rate of archiving, but for converting existing archives to
new ones, with 100,000 messages or more, might be a bit slow.

My alternative would be to copy and modify the 'mail2arc'
subroutine.

Please let me know your hints about this.

Also please let me have your guess whether it would be faster,
for an archive with 10,000 to 100,000 messages, to run MHonArc
per message or just request a rebuild at the end of the whole
newly moved archive.