en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa and S/MIME

  • From: Olaf Menkens <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa and S/MIME
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:51:54 +0200

Am 27.09.2012 04:00, schrieb Steve Shipway:
I've applied your patch for mail.pm to our system (6.1.11), and it works!
Many thanks for this, it would have taken me a very long time to locate.
Hopefully the 6.2 branch will have this fixed, once it becomes stable enough.
Fine.
I still have problems getting list signing to produce a signature that works
with Outlook without using --nodetach in the openssl flags, though.

Once again: As far as I understand the idea of digital signatures (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signature), it doesn't make sense to get sympa (or a sympa managed list) sign mails by itself. From the wikipedia article:
"A valid digital signature gives a recipient reason to believe that the message was created by a known sender, and that it was not altered in transit. "

If a list signs mails itself, this signature is IMHO worthless. The sender of the mail should sign the mail, not the list! This is also documented in sympa: http://www.sympa.org/manual/x509.

Olaf Menkens.