en - [sympa-users] Sympa and S/MIME

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa and S/MIME
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 04:35:16 +0000

Is anyone out there using Sympa with S/MIME?

I’m trying to make things work here.  I can successfully use authentication via S/MIME signatures, but I cannot make the list sign with its own certificate, nor can I make encryption work.

If I try to make the list sign, then openssl runs without error, but Outlook claims the resulting signatures are invalid.  Verifying the messages on a Linux host with openssl claims they are fine.  The problem seems to be something to do with embedded \r\n and \n in the message as far as I can see.

With encryption, first the archive process fails as it does not have the correct path for the certificate in the tools::smime_decrypt function.  Then, when the distribute process tries to encrypt the message with a subscriber’s public key, it fails with an ‘internal error’.  I can’t see what’s going on here.

Has anyone been able to make this work?  Sympa v6.1.11, openssl v1.0.0 (RHEL6/64bit)

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Steve

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead