en - Re: [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:14:09 -0800

We've had a couple instances in the past here at Duke, where third
parties have scraped our publicly visible list of lists
(https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/lists) and then gone through and used
automated tools to attempt to subscribe themselves to each list there (a
lot of which do allow open subscription).

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but IMHO you should solve this problem and various others by simply disallowing any open (ie. no auth/confirmation required) subscriptions. All unauthenticated subscribe requests should require subsequent confirmation by the user anyway, to avoid spurious subscriptions resulting from spam, viruses, errors, malicious activity, etc. You'll have to either change the setting on existing lists with open subscriptions or "override" it by linking the subscribe.open scenario file to, say, the subscribe.auth file instead, but neither one is very difficult.

That's my 2 centimes. Or did I misunderstand something?

adam