en - [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:26:45 -0500

Sympa community,

We've had a couple instances in the past here at Duke, where third parties have scraped our publicly visible list of lists (https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/lists) and then gone through and used automated tools to attempt to subscribe themselves to each list there (a lot of which do allow open subscription). It's easy enough to identify the offending address -- this past weekend, there was a Gmail address that subscribed itself to 983 lists before it was brought to my attention -- but it understandably causes some alarm among list owners.

I was looking at the documentation and the code, and it doesn't appear that the do_lists action within wwsympa is protected by any scenario, but I wanted to find out if I overlooked something. I'm also open to other ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff
Systems Developer, Duke University Office of Information Technology