en - Re: [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility

  • From: micah anderson <address@concealed>
  • To: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] List of Lists Visibility
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:02:26 -0500

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:26:45 -0500, Jeff Abbott <address@concealed> wrote:
> Sympa community,
>
> We've had a couple instances in the past here at Duke, where third
> parties have scraped our publicly visible list of lists
> (https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/lists) and then gone through and used
> automated tools to attempt to subscribe themselves to each list there (a
> lot of which do allow open subscription). It's easy enough to identify
> the offending address -- this past weekend, there was a Gmail address
> that subscribed itself to 983 lists before it was brought to my
> attention -- but it understandably causes some alarm among list owners.

Interesting, that could be pretty annoying.

I wonder if it would be worth considering a parameter that notified the
administrator if a particular address was subscribed to a certain
percentage of the lists?

That might not work out so well in installations where there are two
lists and everyone is subscribed to all of them, but it could be
configurable?

micah