en - Re: [sympa-users] Bounce processing

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Bounce processing
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:05:35 -0800

Pat --

I've read everything I can in the manual on bounce management and it's all
rather confusing. It would seem that there has to be a way to configure a
list to automatically delete subscribers whose addresses are no longer valid.

This is the example situation we have - a large list which is used to send
a monthly newsletter to international researchers. So there is only one
email per month on the list. The number of bounces will only ever be one.

Yes, we've always struggled a bit with Sympa's bounce management algorithms, mostly wishing like you that it was a much simpler matter of "if you get a single hard bounce, remove them; if you get X soft bounces, remove them".

One issue you're running into is the desire of Sympa to look only at the recent period (10 days or whatever) in evaluating bounces, which is a good idea except that the time period is just far too short for you, and I would say in general. We've increased it on our system to 30 days; unfortunately this one is also not a simple parameter change in sympa. To change it, you need to override the default expire_bounce._global task:

1. Create a ~sympa/etc/global_task_models directory
2. Copy ~sympa/default/global_task_models/expire_bounce.daily.task into the new directory
3. Edit ~sympa/etc/global_task_models/expire_bounce.daily.task, and change "expire_bounce (10)" to "expire_bounce (30)" (or any number of days -- you might want 60 or 120 or 365 or...)
4. Delete the file ~sympa/spool/task/*.expire_bounce._global
5. Restart the task-manager.pl process, to auto-recreate that task file

At least I think that's the best procedure -- I would be happy to be corrected if there's an easier way.

Once you've done that, the bounces will be kept around for long enough to start adding up to a real bounce score, and you can probably tune the bounce threshold parameters to get pretty close to what you want. But you'll never quite get there. I too would put in a vote for radically simplifying the Sympa bounce evaluation algorithm, which is very smart but possibly too smart; sometimes dumber is better, eh? :)

adam