en - [sympa-users] Bounce processing

  • From: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Bounce processing
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:49:00 -0800

Hi everyone,

I'm still trying to figure out how to optimize the bounce processing within Sympa. (Thanks to Adam Bernstein for answering some of my earlier questions.)

I've read everything I can in the manual on bounce management and it's all rather confusing. It would seem that there has to be a way to configure a list to automatically delete subscribers whose addresses are no longer valid.

This is the example situation we have - a large list which is used to send a monthly newsletter to international researchers. So there is only one email per month on the list. The number of bounces will only ever be one.

The manual gives the following equation for bounce management:

    Score = bounce_count * type_rate * regularity_rate

Bounce_count should be 1. The type_rate should be 1 for permanent errors. I'm not sure what the regularity_rate should be - 1, 100, something else - but for a given user whose email address is no longer valid, every message should be bouncing.

The question is - what do I do with this score? How does this translate into Sympa parameters? What I want to do is to set this list so that any permanent errors automatically delete the user. Is that possible by changing the threshold values for the 1st level and 2nd level "Management of bouncers" values? How does this covert to "points"?

The manual also says that "the score is not evaluated" if the number of bounces is lower than minimum_bouncing_count or the bouncing period is shorter than minimum_bouncing_period. So nothing will happen (by default) unless we get 10 bounces. But would someone please explain the minimum bouncing period? The default is 10 but what exactly does it mean?

Thanks!

Pat

Pat Allen (address@concealed & http://www.mbari.org/staff/pat)

Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)

7700 Sandholdt Rd, Moss Landing, CA 95039

(voice) 831-775-1724; (fax) 831-775-1620