en - Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to not using virtual host domain

  • From: Brian Thompson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to not using virtual host domain
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:12:52 -0400

Problem resolved... It basically turned out be a sendmail
issue.

Even though "Errors-to:" was initially correct coming from
List.pm, it was being later being rewritten to the physical
hostname by sendmail rewrite rules. "X-Loop" went through
unaffected though since it isn't a header line that sendmail
recognized or knew what to do with in terms of rewrites.

The solution we implemented was to change the DNS record
for the CNAME "lists.foo.com" from a CNAME alias to a
true A record pointing at the server's IP address. That
way sendmail doesn't try to follow the CNAME alias and
rewrite to the A record hostname.

Hope the info helps.

-Brian

Brian Thompson wrote:

Thanks Liam, it does look like it might be the same issue.
Here's another clue that might help although I'm still very
confused -

In "List.pm" there's the following:

***********
sub distribute_msg {
my ($name, $host) = ($self->{'name'}, $self->{'admin'}{'host'});
## Add useful headers
$hdr->add('X-Loop', "$name\@$host");
$hdr->add('X-Sequence', $sequence);
$hdr->add('Errors-to', $name.&Conf::get_robot_conf($robot, 'return_path_suffix').'@'.$host);
***********

Now, just as a test I tried hardcoding $host in that routine
to "blah.com" and that does have the effect of changing the
hostname in both "X-Loop:" and "Errors-to:" to "@blah.com"
(all other hostname references in the header below are
unaffected).

But, as noted below, "X-Loop" is already correct. Of the
two it's only "Errors-to" that shows the physical hostname.
So I'm not sure how one could be correct and one could be
wrong given that they're both defined in the same block of
code using the same variable.

-Brian

Liam Kirsher wrote:
Brian,

This sounds like the same problem I reported a while back. You should be able to find it in the archives.
David Verdin said he would add it to the bug list, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

Liam

address@concealed wrote:
I'm having a very similar problem and no matter what I try I can't seem to get
around it. Below is a header from a simple email sent to one of the test lists.

The problem is that the "To:" and the "Errors-to:" always somehow get
translated to the physical hostname of the server, while the rest of the
headers properly show the CNAME that I'm attempting to use - "lists.foo.com". This means that when someone attempts to reply back to the list, the message
doesn't actually go to the list. I've tried adding the "host" variable to
sympa.conf as well going through the instructions for creating a virtual host
named "lists.food.com" with associated robot.conf. The physical hostname still
keeps coming through. Any info or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian