en - Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to on digests won't go away..

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to on digests won't go away..
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:32:46 -0800

That's not what's happening. People aren't usually replying to a specific message in the digest, they're hitting reply, deleting the message, changing the subject and sending an entirely new message to the list. People don't bother to remember the list address, especially if they're infrequent posters (as digest users often are), they just reply to the last message they got and compose their new message.

FWIW, I'm with Darrell here -- replies to digests should go to the list, or at least we should be able to easily customize that header. As he says, people who receive digests do so because (even more than most) they rarely post and they want to pay minimal attention to the list and its traffic, so they're just going to hit reply and edit and send. Their replies currently go only to the list owner (ie. the trash) when the intention is always to send to the list. I realize the default behavior for regular reception is and should be for replies to go to the sender, to avoid mistaken list replies and possible loops, but in the case of digests those concerns are less valid, and the default reply-to should be the list.

I've got some of my own complaints about buggy 5.3.4 behavior on the way though, so hold on to your hats....

ab