en - Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to on digests won't go away..

  • From: Darrell Fuhriman <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to on digests won't go away..
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:05:12 -0500

Reply-To in the digest itself is set to list-request because it doesn't make sense to reply to a digest, likely to contain several discussions. How is it possible to know to which message(s) people reply? It's just like, in a room full of people discussing several different topics, somebody would suddenly shout "me to!" aloud without speaking to someone in particular.

That's not what's happening. People aren't usually replying to a specific message in the digest, they're hitting reply, deleting the message, changing the subject and sending an entirely new message to the list. People don't bother to remember the list address, especially if they're infrequent posters (as digest users often are), they just reply to the last message they got and compose their new message.

I see this *all* the time whether from digest users or regular users. One need only use an MUA that threads based on In-Reply-to headers to see how often this happens.

Besides, one of the reasons I like sympa, is that it doesn't generally assume to know better than I do about how to configure the lists. Clearly this is an exception.

Darrell