en - [sympa-users] Re: Configuring a list for local domain users

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Configuring a list for local domain users
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:38:51 +1000

On Friday 21 September 2007 02:47:14 Allen, Pat wrote:
> Excuse me if this is a basic question but I've just started working with
> Sympa.

As long as you learn from questions, I personally see no harm in asking. :D

> We are currently using Lyris as our mail server and are looking to migrate
> to Sympa. We're an oceanographic research organization and many of our
> lists are restricted to staff while many are open to public subscription.
> I notice that when creating a list, I can configure it so that the field
> "Who can subscribe to the list (subscribe)" is set to "restricted to local
> domain users (intranet)". This would seem to be what I want but the problem
> is that the Sympa server is in a tertiary DNS zone (shore.mbari.org) and
> users will be logging in with their normal email addresses of
> address@concealed. It seems that the software doesn't recognize this as being
> the same DNS zone.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

The method for who can subscribe to the list is controlled by the subscribe.*
scenari. You can create your own scenari, which will handle your case.

You can give the scenari a different name (eg: subscribe.mbari), or you can
replace the subscribe.intranet rule. If you want to replace the
subscribe.intranet scenari however, do not edit the base scenari rules! Make
a copy of the base scenari rule into the "etc" scenari directory, and then
edit the "etc" scenari version. The "etc" scenari directory does not get
altered on upgrade, so all your customisations will not get blown away. The
default "etc" scenari directory is usually /home/sympa/etc/scenari, however
some packages for distributions move it to /etc/sympa/scenari - YMMV.

Once you've modified or created your scenari (of any type), you will need to
restart sympa to get it to use or recognise it.

The scenari part of Sympa is fairly powerful, and doesn't just apply to the
subscribe functions. Have a look at the authorization-scenarios section of
the documentation at http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/authorization-scenarios
for more information on what it can do.

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed