en - [sympa-users] Re: [partially solved] translation into Spanish and installation

  • From: Daniel Viñar Ulriksen <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: [partially solved] translation into Spanish and installation
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:34:48 -0400

Merci pour cette réponse, Olivier.

El vie, 24-08-2007 a las 11:13 +0200, Olivier Salaün escribió:
> One reason for this problem would be that you are missing some locales
> on your server. On Debian try running "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and
> check that the Spanish locale is installed.
A priori, I configured the locales, and have several Spanish locales
installed (particularly in utf-8)
> Moreover, can you check what does "locale -a" return ?
see hereafter my "locale -a".

Thanks for that, I partially solved the problem:
I saw had no the basic es_ES which comes with the es_BO iso 8859-1
locale.

I realised I saw that with other software packages (AlternC,
particularly), and maybe it's a characteristic of gettext: nothing
happens without the ISO 8859-1 locale.

However, I had the es_BO ISO 8859-1 locale. Why, while using free
software, should we still pledge allegiance to the "madre patria"?? :)

Finally (and more practical) I still have some ISO 8859 / UTF 8
problems, and still have several strings in English through the Spanish
interface (see http://sympa.belvil.net) I'll try to sort them out.

> > I thought it was because of an incomplete .mo, so I went to
> > http://pootle.sympa.org/ and finished the Spanish translation (well,
> > remains some incoherency to review, but at least the file is complete)
> >
> That's great ; we'll include your translations in the next Sympa release.
'happy to contribute! :)
I'll try to check all the Spanish strings before next release. An idea
of the time left?

One question about translation: is French Sympa's "native" language? And
is there a(n easy) way to translate form French to Spanish?
Not only it would be easier for me, but most of all, if you initially do
it in French, it would be better to avoid an indirect translation.

> > I downloaded the .po, compiled it into .po, replaced the
> > /usr/lib/sympa/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/sympa.mo and even created an
> > /usr/lib/sympa/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/sympa.mo
> > I reloaded Sympa and Apache2. I don't have any complain in the logs no
> > longer, but I still don't see the Spanish web interface for Sympa.
> >
> What is the value of your "supported_lang" sympa.conf parameter ?

now it's:
supported_lang fr,es_ES,en_US
but I also tried fr,es,en_US ; fr,es,en and different orders.

Regards,
daniel

ayllu:~# locale -a
en_GB