en - [sympa-users] Re: [sympa-translation] Re: [partially solved] translation into Spanish and installation

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Daniel Viñar Ulriksen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: [sympa-translation] Re: [partially solved] translation into Spanish and installation
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:31:42 +0200

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Viñar Ulriksen a écrit :
Merci pour cette réponse, Olivier.
El vie, 24-08-2007 a las 11:13 +0200, Olivier Salaün escribió:
One reason for this problem would be that you are missing some locales on your server.
On Debian try running "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and check that the Spanish
locale is installed.
A priori, I configured the locales, and have several Spanish locales
installed (particularly in utf-8)
Moreover, can you check what does "locale -a" return ?
see hereafter my "locale -a".
Thanks for that, I partially solved the problem: I saw had no the basic es_ES which comes with the es_BO iso 8859-1 locale.
I realised I saw that with other software packages (AlternC,particularly), and maybe it's a characteristic of gettext: nothing happens without the ISO 8859-1 locale.
However, I had the es_BO ISO 8859-1 locale. Why, while using free software, should we
still pledge allegiance to the "madre patria"?? :)
You're missing the es_ES.iso88591 locale indeed. I don't know why.
Anyhow things should get better if you upgrade to a more recent version of Sympa (5.3.x) because it uses UTF-8 and therefore setlocale('es_ES.utf8') will work fine on your system.
It seem that a new Debian package is in preparation, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=429731#20
Finally (and more practical) I still have some ISO 8859 / UTF 8 problems, and still have several strings in English through the Spanish interface (see http://sympa.belvil.net) I'll try to sort them out.
It's probably because some English sentences have changed from Sympa 5.2.x to Sympa 5.3.x ; therefore not all expressions have a matching translation in the Spanish catalog.
You should either upgrade to Sympa 5.3.x OR run the following command in sympa sources po/ sudirectory :

% make pot ; make update-po

You'll then have an es.po file that includes all strings to translate.
You can check how many strings are missing with :

% make stats

I thought it was because of an incomplete .mo, so I went to
http://pootle.sympa.org/ and finished the Spanish translation (well,
remains some incoherency to review, but at least the file is complete)
That's great ; we'll include your translations in the next Sympa release.
'happy to contribute! :)
I'll try to check all the Spanish strings before next release. An idea of the
time left?
We'll include your translation updates with the next 5.3.4 version of Sympa. This version of Sympa should be released before the end of 2007 because we have a few bug fixes in the code repository.
One question about translation: is French Sympa's "native" language?
That's right ; we provide the English and we are native French people. Therefore some English expressions might be inappropriate and could lead to incorrect translations in other languages. But we gratefully accept fixes for our English/Globish...
And is there a(n easy) way to translate form French to Spanish?
Not only it would be easier for me, but most of all, if you initially do it in French, it would be better to avoid an indirect translation.
The PO system does not provide such feature because the key for each string needs to be the same, whatever the target language is.
All you can do is initialize a Spanish PO file with French translations as defaults. However pootle does not provide the way to do it ; you should check this page : http://www.sympa.org/wiki/translating_sympa#translating_sympa_for_a_new_language