en - [sympa-users] Re: Bounced email addresses not being recognized

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Ryann Levo <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Bounced email addresses not being recognized
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:45:21 +0200

Hi Ryann,

The bounce parsing code in Sympa in not able to analyse 100% of bounces and therefore it needs to evolve to adapt to new types of non-delivery reports.

It looks like the sample you provided did not get properly parsed because of the Status: line that includes the code + some text. I've extended the regular expression in Sympa code to ignore these texts. Here is the (small) patch : http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewvc.cgi/branches/sympa-5.3-branch/wwsympa/bounce-lib.pl?r1=4424&r2=4543&root=sympa&view=patch

Ryann Levo a écrit :
We're running Sympa 5.2.3

I'm getting reports from list owner that know of email address that are bad that are on their lists, but they are not getting marked on Sympa as a bouncing address. I checked my mail log I see a lot of messages like this:

bounced[14111]: error: no address found in message from address@concealed for list xyz

Our bounce messages from our MTA's looks like this:

The following message to <address@concealed> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: address@concealed'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;address@concealed
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [162.129.8.64]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: address@concealed' (delivery attempts: 0)
Reporting-MTA: dns; ipex3.johnshopkins.edu

is there a reason SYmpa can't find the email address in these messages? Does it look at the headers instead od the message body?

Thanks.