en - [sympa-users] Bounced email addresses not being recognized

  • From: Ryann Levo <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Bounced email addresses not being recognized
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:01:00 -0400

We're running Sympa 5.2.3

I'm getting reports from list owner that know of email address that are bad that are on their lists, but they are not getting marked on Sympa as a bouncing address. I checked my mail log I see a lot of messages like this:

bounced[14111]: error: no address found in message from address@concealed for list xyz

Our bounce messages from our MTA's looks like this:

The following message to <address@concealed> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:
address@concealed'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;address@concealed
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [162.129.8.64]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 unknown or
illegal alias: address@concealed' (delivery attempts: 0)
Reporting-MTA: dns; ipex3.johnshopkins.edu

is there a reason SYmpa can't find the email address in these messages? Does
it look at the headers instead od the message body?

Thanks.

--

Ryann A. Levo
Sr. System Software Engineer