en - [sympa-users] Trailing slash problems while viewing list archives

  • From: Graham Todd <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Trailing slash problems while viewing list archives
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:22:11 -0500

Hi sympa folks.

We're evaluating sympa for a fairly large installation where we probably
wont be using the mhonarc archiving features but I'm impressed and quite
like the TT2 templates etc. and would like them to work. This following
small problem came about after upgrading to 5.2.3.

If we visit:

http://www.server.org/vhost.name.com/arc/listname

the current month's archive appears (looks great!). The previous months
are listed near the top of the central part of the page, with links as
follows:

http://www.server.org/vhost.name.com/arc/listname/2006-05/
http://www.server.org/vhost.name.com/arc/listname/2006-06/

Selecting a non-current month to browse causes the content to be served
with the wrong MIME type (BIN file or application/octet-stream).
This seems to be a trailing "/" issue e.g: if we use these URLs things
work fine:

http://www.server.org/vhost.name.com/arc/listname/2006-06

This is most likely due to an error in our installation somewhere that
is causing apache or perl or fastcgi to trip up on things that had
worked with previous versions. Of course we can use rewriting to
eliminate the problem or just change some of the *.tt2 files to remove
the trailing "/" (more onerous) but this seems like a hack. What would
be the "correct" way to fix this problem? Perhaps there was a change in
the sympa code somewhere ?

We reviewed our Apache/FastCGI and VirtualHost settings to make sure
terminating slashes were being handled in the same way and everything
seems to work as expected (i.e. no changes). Has anyone else seen this
problem or want to take a guess why it might be showing up now?

--
Graham Todd - bellanet.org
613.236.6163 #2443