en - [sympa-users] Re: Authentication question

  • From: Sylvain Amrani <address@concealed>
  • To: Redmond Militante <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Authentication question
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:34:44 +0100

Hi,

Redmond Militante a écrit :
> We would like to set up a list so that only certain subscribers can post to
> it, and messages are not moderated.
>
> However we would like to make sure that the From: header of messages sent
> to this list are not spoofed, and that the email is coming from a
> legitimate subscriber. Can Sympa's S/MIME functionality be used for this
> purpose? Or is there a way we can restrict posting to a list to a
> specific range of ip addresses?

Of course you can use the S/Mime functionality, but please consider your
MTA's functionalities as well.

IP restriction, sender authentication and restriction is very simple to
implement on many MTA, especially on intranets. Check the postfix'
permit_sasl_authenticated parameter, for example.

In most cases, it's much more easy to use the MTA functionalities (than
PKI management, Certs distribution, CRLs...)

Regards,
Sylvain.