en - Re: [sympa-users] Authentication question

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Redmond Militante <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Authentication question
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:10:06 +0100

Redmond Militante wrote:
We would like to set up a list so that only certain subscribers can post to it, and messages are not moderated.

However we would like to make sure that the From: header of messages sent to this list are not spoofed, and that the email is coming from a legitimate subscriber.  Can Sympa's S/MIME functionality be used for this purpose?  Or is there a way we can  restrict posting to a list to a specific range of ip addresses?

User authentication is one of the S/MIME features that Sympa provides, the other being mail encryption for groups.

Sympa authorization scenarios have a 'smime' authentication method you can use as follows :
is_subscriber([listname],[sender])             smime  -> do_it
is_subscriber([listname],[sender])             md5  -> do_it
is_subscriber([listname],[sender])             smtp  -> request_auth
true()                                         smtp,md5,smime -> reject
This scenario makes use of S/MIME signed messages, or request a confirmation whenever a message is not signed.

If I understand you right, your other goal is to restrict privilege to a subset of list members. Then you need to define this population somewhere, possibly within a mailing list. You could define a list of privileged user in list A and then include A members in list B. Scenarios of list B would provide special privileges to B members.