en - Re: [sympa-users] Question about sympa and sendmail aliases.

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Question about sympa and sendmail aliases.
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:12:16 +0200

Hi

address@concealed wrote:

I'm going to be setting up Sympa right off the bat with 3
virtual domains and I have a few questions about Sympa's
sendmail aliases with respect to virtual domains.

(1) In the V5.2.1 Sympa manual, page 46, it says:

"When using virtual domains with sendmail or postfix, you
can't refer to address@concealed on the right-hand
side of an /etc/aliases entry."

And yet at the beginning of the chapter (page 44, section
6.2) one of the /etc/aliases entry examples is shown exactly
as:

mylist: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

Now I understand that the address on the right hand side is
not actually 'seen' by sendmail as an address for it to act
on, but rather as a parameter to be fed to the queue command.

exact

address@concealed: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

That surprised me since I was under the impression that you
could not have a domain specified on the left hand side of a
sendmail alias definition.

No exactly because it depend on the way uou configure sendmail.cf . If you are using standard sendmail.cf derivated from sendmail M4 macro, it true that you can't use this kind of aliases. We used it for a ling time that's why it is mentionned in the documentation but we should remove it.

(3) And in a somewhat related note, it says on page 132

"Note that the main limitation of virtual hosts in Sympa
is that you cannot create 2 lists with the same name
(local part) among your virtual hosts."

Not true anymore : version 5 is now "full virtual robot", the database structure as been updated for that and there isn't anymore this limitation.

Serge Aumont