en - [sympa-users] Question about sympa and sendmail aliases.

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Question about sympa and sendmail aliases.
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

I'm going to be setting up Sympa right off the bat with 3
virtual domains and I have a few questions about Sympa's
sendmail aliases with respect to virtual domains.

(1) In the V5.2.1 Sympa manual, page 46, it says:

"When using virtual domains with sendmail or postfix, you
can't refer to address@concealed on the right-hand
side of an /etc/aliases entry."

And yet at the beginning of the chapter (page 44, section
6.2) one of the /etc/aliases entry examples is shown exactly
as:

mylist: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

Now I understand that the address on the right hand side is
not actually 'seen' by sendmail as an address for it to act
on, but rather as a parameter to be fed to the queue command.

Now it occurred to me that the text might have been a typo
and that 'left-hand side' was meant. But on page 132 in the
virtual host chapter, there are examples of adding sendmail
"mail aliases" for the robot which look like:

address@concealed: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

That surprised me since I was under the impression that you
could not have a domain specified on the left hand side of a
sendmail alias definition.

So I remain confused by what this paragraph is trying to tell
me.

(2) Continuing on page 46, when discussing adding entries to the
sendmail virtual user table (/etc/mail/virtusertable), the
following example is given:

@my.domain.org my.domain.org-%1%3

So given an inbound message with the address of

address@concealed

I'm assuming that %1 would be 'mylist'. But what would be
the value used in the %3 substitution?

(3) And in a somewhat related note, it says on page 132

"Note that the main limitation of virtual hosts in Sympa
is that you cannot create 2 lists with the same name
(local part) among your virtual hosts."

Is this because Sympa uses just the list's name as the unique
key for selecting the list's data within the Sympa database?

Thanks for your help on this. I'd like to understand the
installation process as much as possible. I've got all the
sendmail books at my elbow, but unfortunately it seems like every
time I try to wrap my brain around sendmail it makes my head
hurt! :-T

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+