en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa 5 on Debian Sarge?

  • From: Sylvain Amrani <address@concealed>
  • To: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa 5 on Debian Sarge?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:20:12 +0200

Miles Fidelman a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been running Sympa version 3.4.4.3 on an old Red Hat 9 box for a
> few years - and it's been quite stable.
>
> I'm about to migrate to a new machine - which is running Debian Sarge,
> and I'm wondering whether to:
>
> a. install the stable packaged version, which is at Sympa v. 4.1.5.2, or,
>
> b. install the Sympa 5 Debian package from www.sympa.org, or,
>
> c. install Sympa 5 from source.
>
> Can anybody who's installed Sympa 4 or 5 on Debian Sarge comment on
> stability of Sympa 5 on Sarge, things to watch out for during
> installation, and so forth?

I'm using sympa 5.2.1 from sources on sarge with MySQL and postfix.
Sympa is actively developped and I do need all the new features. Sympa
4.1.5.2 is very old. I tried a while ago the 5.1 deb packages pointed by
www.sympa.org, without any troubles.

But sympa comes with migration scripts, that verify perl modules
dependancies and it's quite easy to manually install and maintain it.
The only thing with sarge is that sympa did not find mhonarc where
debian put it. So I've installed mhonarc manually in the /usr/local
area. Sympa is perl so there is nothing to worry about to use it on any
good linux box.

Use delepine's packages if you do not need the last functionnalities and
want to install it the debian way.

Regards,
Sylvain