en - [sympa-users] newaliases

  • From: Redmond Militante <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] newaliases
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:02:31 -0500

Hello-

I received this in regards to an installation of sympa I was configuring to
work with Postfix. I'm now experiencing the same problem - namely, that
sympa auto creation of alias fails - on a machine on which I'd like to use
sendmail as my MTA.

snippet of our sympa.logs
Jun 2 15:41:32 announce wwsympa[6204]: [robot announce.uchicago.edu] [client
128.135.0.88] [user address@concealed] do_create_list, get action : do_it
Jun 2 15:41:32 announce wwsympa[6204]:
admin::check_topics(computing/apps,announce.uchicago.edu)
Jun 2 15:41:32 announce wwsympa[6204]: admin::install_aliases : Unable to
run newaliases

snippet of /var/log/maillog
Jun 2 14:48:55 announce sendmail[2811]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): hash map
"Alias1": unsafe map file /etc/mail/sympa_aliases.db: Permission denied
Jun 2 14:48:55 announce sendmail[2811]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot create
database for alias file /etc/mail/sympa_aliases

/etc/mail/sympa_aliases and /etc/mail/sympa_aliases.db were copied from
another machine. I'd like to replicate these aliases onto the new server.
I've modified sympa_aliases so that the hostname is the hostname of the new
machine.

Permissions for /etc/mail are
drwxr-xr-x 3 sympa sympa 4096 Jun 2 15:49 mail

Permissions for /etc/mail/sympa_aliases* are
-rw-r--r-- 1 sympa sympa 9243 Jun 2 15:48 sympa_aliases
-rw-r--r-- 1 sympa smmsp 24576 Jun 2 15:48 sympa_aliases.db

-I have tried various permissions for /etc/mail/sympa_aliases and
/etc/mail/sympa_aliases.db. I've tried making root:root, sympa:sympa,
sympa:smmsp, and smmsp:smmsp owner of the sympa_aliases.db file - nothing has
worked so far, I still receive the same error in maillog.

This server is RHEL 4. I've compiled sympa with
./configure --with-bindir=/etc/smrsh

+++ Redmond Militante <address@concealed> [06/04/20 09:15]:
> +++ Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed> [06/04/20 08:38]:
> >
> > Sympa automatic aliases creation may fail for one of the following
> > reason :
> > * The /etc/mail/sympa_aliases file (defined by 'sendmail_aliases'
> > sympa.conf parameter) does not exist. Starting with Sympa 5.2,

the file exists

> > sympa.pl is able to create the aliases file if it is missing.
> > * /etc/mail/sympa_aliases is not used by your MTA. If using
> > sendmail, add it to sendmail.cf

snippet of our sendmail.cf
# location of alias file
O AliasFile=/etc/aliases,/etc/mail/sympa_alias

> > * The newaliases command requires special arguments on your system.
> > You can define the newaliases command and arguments used during
> > the configure. See
> > [1]http://www.sympa.org/doc/html/node4.html#SECTION004300000000000
> > 00000

not necessary on our system.

> > * The aliaswrapper program is missing the SetUID bit

%ls -la /home/sympa/bin/aliaswrapper*
-rwsr-x--- 1 root sympa 6645 Jun 2 14:12 /home/sympa/bin/aliaswrapper

> > * Your /etc/mail/sympa_aliases does not have the appropriate
> > privileges. It should neither be group-writeable nor
> > world-writeable

% ls -la /etc/mail/sympa_aliases
-rw-r--r-- 1 sympa sympa 9243 Jun 2 15:48 /etc/mail/sympa_aliases

> > * Your /etc/mail/sympa_aliases.db does not have the appropriate
> > privileges. This file is created by running newaliase. User
> > 'smmsp' should be owner of this map file

see above. I've also tried making smmsp:smmsp owner of this file, same
error. sympa:smmsp is currently owner of this file.

Any advice appreciated.