en - Re: [sympa-users] newaliases

  • From: Peter Farmer <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] newaliases
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 19:12:41 +0800

Redmond,

This is a common sendmail security issue - I found out the hard way a long
time ago 8-).

The aliases file and its database files (generated by newaliases) must be
owned by root and writable only by root AND they must live in a directory,
every path component of which is owned by and writable only by root.

If database files are are not protected this way, attackers can create
private aliases files and then run 'sendmail -oA./aliases -bi' to create a
bogus database that can be copied over (or delete and replace) the
original.

Regards,

Peter Farmer