en - Re: [sympa-users] Remote authentication against sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Dean Ericksen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Remote authentication against sympa
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:14:54 +0200

I confirm that using the Sympa SOAP server is the prefered solution because it prevents direct access to the data and it does exactly what you need. Here is the associated documentation and a sample PHP client :
The only drawback from this method is that you need to collect the sympa user password within your application, and then submit it via the SOAP protocol (maybe that's not a problem in your situation). Another option would be to use CAS single sign-on system and its proxy behavior ; check chapter 2.4 of this article : http://www.sympa.org/documentation/AA-in-Sympa/

Please let us know how it suites your situation...

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
and what permission level that login has. Another way of solving this would be an ssl/mysql connection, which is fine … has anyone solved this problem yet? Any sample code or friendly hints would be appreciated.
I suppose the SOAP-interface might (or at least should) allow you to perform the desired operations. I'd avoid touching the database directly and the sympa-documentation seems to agree with me.

"A SOAP server for Sympa has recently been added to the package. This server provides an API to integrate simple mailing list services within another application ; for example include a list subscription form in a PHP page. In the past, external applications would directly access Sympa's database, thus bypassing Sympa's authentication and authorization procedures. The SOAP interface makes it easy to develop a Sympa Uportal channel; this has been done by the french ESUP project, along with CAS authentication."