en - [sympa-users] Sympa on RHEL4 (and others)

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa on RHEL4 (and others)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:47:29 -0400

Ladies and gentlemen,

We're going to be deploying Sympa on one of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 rebuilds (specifically CentOS -- http://centos.org) and I was interested in finding out from the user community who run Sympa on similar systems what their experience has been with managing the Perl module requirements.

Right now I'm looking at using the Fedora Core 3 Extras rebuilt for CentOS by one of the core CentOS developers (http:// centos.karan.org/) along with some packages built locally for the ones that aren't in that repository. One obstacle I've come across, however, is that due to the way Red Hat builds their Perl packages, MIME::Base64 cannot easily be upgraded and the version that comes with RHEL4 is too old for Sympa (v3.01 to be exact). I'm wondering if using CPAN would be a better way to go and would love to hear pros and cons from people who've used it on a heavily package-managed system (e.g. RHEL, Fedora Core, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server). I think this would make packaging Sympa a bit more difficult as modules installed via CPAN wouldn't be available to meet the Sympa package's dependencies, but I'm not sure how big of an issue that would be.

Thoughts? Concerns? Questions? I'm anxious to hear how others have deployed Sympa on similar distributions or OSes.

Thanks,
Jeff