en - Re: [sympa-users] Not syncing lists with same names under different robots

  • From: Cef <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Not syncing lists with same names under different robots
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:57:17 +1100

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:08, Scott Balmos wrote:
> > Great that that's not documented anywhere in any part of the manual,
> > or any FAQ I've tried to Google. All along, I'd thought virtual robots
> > allow for unique lists with the same names at different hosts. That
> > may very well put the brakes on my whole system design. :/
>
> Sorry, it is in the FAQ. I just didn't notice it. Too... uh... shocked
> that this hadn't been taken care of, I guess is how I would put it? :D

If you don't care what the actual detail behind the lists is named, then it
may be possible to fudge it.

Name the list something like this:
address@concealed
address@concealed
and for the normal one use:
address@concealed

Note that the reverse (foo-everyone) would work just as well too - your call.

This takes care of the unique part. Then create aliases on the same system
that point each individual name@host to the real list.

eg:
address@concealed: address@concealed
address@concealed: address@concealed
address@concealed: address@concealed

The reason I suggest creating the default list is to avoid issues with the
aliases, which might arise if the sympa alias definitions don't include the
hostname. This avoids the possibility of a multiple match which could cause a
lot of confusion, and could be hard to debug.

Notes:
If list users don't need to use the web interface this works OK, and since
you're populating the lists from LDAP, I'm guessing that this may be the
case. If they do, you MAY be able to do rewriting stuff in apache to make it
look like each list is separate if it's a real problem, but it would not be
an easy task, and I haven't attempted to do anything of the sort. If you're
not too worried about how clean it looks, you can at least redirect queries
at each virtual host from wws/everyone to wws/everyone-foo (or whatever host
it is), as necessary.
YES, it's a complete hack job, but it might work for your purpose.
This requires that whatever mail server you are using can handle domains
in /etc/aliases, or you might try doing some sort domain email re-mapping
elsewhere within your MTA. If your MTA supports it, you could even re-write
the outgoing headers so that it appears to come from the appropriate domain,
but beware that this may break the bounce tracking.
Id headers in the mail will point to the real list, so either you could hack
sympa to provide the virtual links above, or just live with it.

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed