en - [sympa-users] question to bouncemanagement

  • From: Thomas Barth <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] question to bouncemanagement
  • Date: 27 Jan 2004 14:15:56 +0100

Hi,

last Friday we send a newsletter to ~ 536000 community members by using
sympa for the first time. My fear Sympa could crash when handling this
amount of email-addresses didn't come true, but I needed to be prepared
for this case. In two hours the newsletter was send to all recipients.
Great job!

Now I have a question to the bouncemanagement of Sympa. Many emails have
been bounced from email-addresses identified as invalid, user unknown or
not active. Sympa put these emails to the bounce directoy. I deleted all
these files. Do my make a mistake? Now many messages are printed to the
maillog. For example:

Jan 27 12:45:24 webmail postfix/qmgr[9583]: C620F1C0B1A:
to=<address@concealed>, relay=none,
delay=179874, status=deferred (connect to
mailer2.freecity.de[81.88.35.57]: Connection refused)

Jan 27 12:45:25 webmail postfix/qmgr[9583]: C7A6C1C17E9:
from=<address@concealed>,
size=60938, nrcpt=25 (queue active)

Jan 27 12:45:25 webmail postfix/qmgr[9583]: 7EBAD1C0112:
to=<address@concealed>, relay=none,
delay=157382, status=deferred (connect to
mailer2.freecity.de[81.88.35.57]: Connection refused)

What does this mean exactly? The broadcasting has already been finished
on Friday but still getting messages, that have nothing to do with
bouncing emails. I don't understand the reason "Connection refused"
because Sympa could send the emails and handle all bounced emails.

Another question is if all email-addresses from those whose mailbox was
full have also been flagged as bounced.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Thomas
(less nervous)